Saturday, September 26, 2015

Testing Bakelite With Baking Soda? No way!

Yes way!
 Today I was cleaning up a few old Bakelite handled utensils when I ran into pesky thrift store sticker residue. I grabbed my trusty box of baking soda and dumped it on my rag and started to scrub it off. It turned that lovely shade of nicotine yellow.
At first I thought: "Great, these are cruddy, not Bakelite". 
So, I washed them real good again, dried them off and tried baking soda on a damp Q Tip. Again nicotine yellow.

 All the handles I tested were red and a little worn. So I ran to grab the only other piece in this house that was not red or worn, and I tested on that. Again it was a positive yellow.

 At this point I need more input. I am pretty excited at the thought of my old trusty friend baking soda coming through, yet again. So I asked other reputable dealers and friends to participate by testing their own pieces... here are the results we have so far:

Note: As with any abrasive substances, do not rub hard and always test in an inconspicuous area.


These pieces tested positive with Simichrome prior to testing with baking soda.



Just moisten a cotton swab, dip in baking soda and rub gently. Dish soap can be added if a different texture is preferred. I like the added dish soap, it doesn't seem as abrasive and is more paste like. The photos below show the test done without.


Here are results from others.


Photo and Test provided by Jodi Bombardier


Photos and tests provided by Niki Patterson


As for black, you have Bakelite and you have Catalin as one experienced dealer puts it: 
 "And we should probably take into account that Bakelite, and Catalin, are two different substances. Bakelite was brown or black, first used for appliance knobs and such, and was more of a dense, even composition material, and heavier. If you break a piece, like break a knob off, you can see the fine ever so slightly granular make-up. Catalin was glossy and lighter and could be brightly colored. Sometimes maybe we're testing two different animals, both black early plastics, but they will react differently" - Courtney Hubble owner of  Mercy, Maude!

For now it seems that it is just as effective, but not better than Simichrome for testing. Lexi Lewis provided 3 photos of black pieces using both baking soda and Simichrome and the results were pretty similar.

All of these pieces are different types of plastic from different eras. None of them reacted to Baking Soda like Bakelite did.



Be sure to look out for Part Two, I am still gathering evidence!
Update as of 12-30 Part Two has been posted!






15 comments:

  1. Great post. Info is always changing. In this business you learn something new everyday, thanks for letting me be the first to know. Thanks for sharing my shop link too! Much Love, Jodi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your contribution is priceless Jodi, I appreciate your help with this! Loves right back atcha!

      Delete
  2. This is great news!!! Anxious to try this out. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so much better than simichrome. Now to find some bakelite to test it on. Thanks Angie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh! I hope you find a treasure trove of it! Be sure to share your results! :)

      Delete
  4. Hi
    Although I don't have a test to distinguish between Catalin and Bakelite, there is a much easy way to check that a piece is one of these without using substances.
    You just hold it under the hot water tap for a few minutes and you will quickly smell the very strong Formaldehyde which only Bakelite and Catalin have. No substances needed and anyone can do this quick and easy. I must admit I was not aware of a product called Catalin and have checked it out on Google. Very interesting to know that what we all thought was Bakelite is actually for the most part Catalin. Reffering of course to the brightly colored Bakelite jewelry with a bit of a transparent look. This is actually Catalin not Bakelite however Catalin is still based on the same chemical compound called Phenol Formaldehyde Resin without the fillers used in Bakelite. It would seem that everyone knows this jewelry as Bakelite so to now call it Catalin which I doubt anyone has heard of might cause a problem for selling. I suggest we still call it Bakelite but in brackets Catalin and give the explanation as per the Wiki explanation. That way we are still able to market what everyone understands but technically correct in the listing description for Catalin.
    Great to know this stuff. Very important.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to read blogs like this! So very helpful and I'm grateful for now knowing about Catalin as well.
      All the Best
      Angela

      Delete
    2. I am very happy you mentioned the smell test and other methods of testing. Part two will contain more info on the other methods as well.

      Delete
    3. Part two is just about done. Thank you Angela for pushing me in the right direction. I never thought I would learn so much.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous information, Angie! Thank you SO much for sharing your blog with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so great! I hate the smell of Simichrome! Thanks for adding my links!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use baking soda and soap and found it great to know I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic! Thanks for confirming you use this method too Theresa )

      Delete